Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Emily Jane Brontë: "The night is darkening round me"


.

File:Caspar David Friedrich 016.jpg

Erinnerungen an das Riesengebirge (The Giant Mountains): Caspar David Friedrich, c. 1835 (The Hermitage)


The night is darkening round me
The wild winds coldly blow
But a tyrant spell has bound me
And I cannot cannot go

The giant trees are bending
Their bare boughs weighed with snow
And the storm is fast descending
And yet I cannot go

Clouds beyond clouds above me
Wastes beyond wastes below
But nothing dear can move me
I will not cannot go



File:Painting of Brontë sisters.png

The Brontë sisters: left to right, Anne, Emily and Charlotte (in center, the shadow of the portraitist, who has painted himself out of the picture): Branwell Brontë, 1834

File:Emilybronte.jpg

Emily Brontë: Branwell Brontë, n.d.

Emily Jane Brontë (1818-1848): "The night is darkening round me", November 1837