Saturday, March 12, 2011

Issa: When I see the ocean


.



Hirono nuclear power station is seen as a wave approaches after an earthquake in Hirono Town, Fukushima Prefecture, northeastern Japan: photo by Reuters/Yomiuri, 11 March 2011




When I see the ocean,
Whenever I see it,

Oh, my mother!








The oncoming tsunami strikes the coast in Natori City, Miyagi Prefecture, northeastern Japan: photo by Reuters/Kyodo, 11 March 2011


A whirlpool is seen near Oarai City, Ibaraki Prefecture, northeastern Japan: photo by Reuters/Kyodo, 11 March 2011

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/misc_images/031111_tsunamipopup.jpg

A massive tsunami hits the coast of Iwanuma, Miyagi Prefecture, northeastern Japan
: photo by Reuters/Kyodo, 11 March 2011




Houses swept away by a tsunami in Natori City in northeastern Japan
: photo by Reuters/Kyodo, 11 March 2011



When I see the ocean: Kobayashi Issa (1763-1827), translated by Reginald Horace Blyth, 1951