Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thomas Wyatt: Recursion (It may be good)


.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/The_Chocolate_Girl.jpg

La serveuse de chocolat
(La belle chocolatière/The chocolate girl): Jean-Etienne Liotard (1702-1789), 1743-1745 (Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister, Dresden)





It may be good like it who list
..but I do dowbt who can me blame
..for oft assured yet have I myst
..and now again I fere the same
..The wyndy worde[s] the Ies quaynt game
..of soden change maketh me agast
..for dred to fall I stond not fast
Alas I tred an endles maze
..that seketh to accorde two contraries
..and hope still & nothing hase
..imprisoned in liberte[s]
..as one unhard & and still that cries
..alwaies thursty & yet and nothing I tast
..for dred to fall I stond not fast
Assured I dowbt I be not sure
..and should I trust to suche suretie
..that oft hath put the prouff in ure
..and never hath founde it trusty
..nay sir In faith it were great foly
..and yet my liff thus I do wast
..for dred to fall I stond not fast



Hase hazard, attempt
ure use



http://escherdroste.math.leidenuniv.nl/images/droste.jpg

Illustration of "the nurse" on Droste cocoa tin, showing a visual form of recursion known as the Droste effect; the woman in the image is holding an object which contains a smaller image of herself holding the same object, and so forth: Jan (Johannes) Musset (?), c. 1903


Thomas Wyatt (1503-1542): It may be good like it who list: transcription from original text (British Library Egerton MS 2711, fol. 22) by Richard Harrier in The Canon of Sir Thomas Wyatt's Poetry, 1975